About Me

My photo
I'm a 25yr old guy, I enjoy life to the fullest and God is who I want to follow he has blessed me with great friends and amazing people who surround and support me.

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Coffee shops

So I have been working in coffee shops for almost 3 years now, a little over 2 and a half at Roasters Coffee and Tea Company in Amarillo, Texas and Just over a month at Palace Coffee Company in little old Canyon Texas USA. Because of these two Coffee Shops I have gained a greater appreciation for coffee as an industry, its taste and the skill behind making the drink. from watching the coloration of the espresso as it comes out of the portofilter to microfoam you get when you steam the milk just right. The different tastes you get from coffee by the method you brew it, the length of time you brew it. Being a good barista requires so much more skill then people give us credit for. I had the priviledge of going to a couple coffee shops in the Dallas Fortworth over the weekend Im sad to say that I wasn't impressed. I have been to great coffee shops ones that anytime I visit the town or am driving through the town I make it a point to visit, and I have been to ok coffee shops where I could care less if I ever went there. I may just be super spoiled now with Palace Coffee, But I was not impressed at all with the Coffee Shops/house I visited. The baristas couldn't tell me anything about the coffee they were using, I mean Im no expert but I can atleast tell you what country the beans are from, what the roast is, who we get our beans from. The guys I dealt with this weekend couldn't do that. They had no personality which translated into the culture of the place. Drinks were poorly made and no care was put into it. Today while I was at work I did some latte art and managed to pull off a really good heart and just for grins I told the guy that it was proof that we made all of our drinks with love he laughed and went about his day but hey I got him to laugh and i think if i can do that with everyone that I come in contact with then I'm doing my job.

No comments:

Post a Comment